Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cooking For One

Making Emma's baby food is something I always intended to do. TB and I love buying local, organic, and fresh food, and if we get to eat it ourselves, we figure why shouldn't Emma get to too?

Then life happened. Busy, nutty, run-around-like-you're-a-chicken-with-your-head-cut-off life. And, baby food making took a back seat to this stuff.


At least it's organic?

Well, once winter break came, we decided we had the time to give making it ourselves a shot. Thankfully, we received a great baby food making cookbook and accessories for our anniversary, and we were already scheduled to hang out with a great cook and all-around helper, my sister.

The menu we decided upon was pretty simple: peas, sweet potatoes, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, peaches, apples, blueberries, lamb, and turkey.

First we cooked the food,






next we pureed it,


and then we put it into these great little trays (like ice cube trays but with covers) for freezing.




Once the food was frozen, we popped each serving out and into a bag for easy access at meal times.


What struck me most about the food we made was its color! So vibrant in contrast to the canned.

Now, this last picture is special (consider that your warning). It's of meat pureed. And, because you weren't here in person to actually see it, let me assure you that, indeed, it was gross. I'm already a vegetarian, but if I ever had doubts about staying one, all I would have to do is feast my eyes upon this here dead-looking loveliness, and I would be cured. Ok, enough of that. We'll likely pair Emma's turkey with apples or pears. And, we'll probably pair her lamb with prunes or apricots. We're also interested in making her other foods from which she can get protein (e.g., beans).


All in all, baby food making was a blast! Emma's favorite food so far is apples. That is truly amazing to us because she hates the canned version. We think the canned ones taste much more tart than the ones we made for her (Red Delicious). That's an advantage to making your own food, I suppose. You can really tailor what you make to your baby and aren't limited by the options at the store. The food we made will last until April. We're currently using it along with the rest of the canned food that we still have, and we're planning to make more soon. So many good recipes to try!
 
Blog Design By: Simply Yours Designs